UC Merced departments, institutes and academic programs have the option of using the official campus website templates free of charge. Public Relations provides easy-to-manage templates in the look-and-feel of the campus branding. Site owners are responsible for developing their own content and maintaining its accuracy and accessibility standards.
There is a series of steps that a campus group goes through to create a new UC Merced site using the campus templates.
Process for Creating a Campus Website
- Group develops content – Editing assistance available via your assigned public information officer
- Establish "site manager" – Person responsible for updating content
- Site Manager - Top level access for site owners. Can access blocks on landing page, add users.
- Content Editors - Basic content editing rights. The standard level of access. Student interns should be assigned Content Editors.
- Template design – we have slider and navigation options. We can help customize your landing page for you.
- Draft template design, redesigns and finalization - Approval by group
- Back-end set-up – Development site is set:
- Content Upload information – Site owner uses CMS. Inline CSS that overrides styling set by the Web team will be removed.
- Final review of test site before launch to "real" URL - please note review by Public Relations needs at least a weeks allotted time for review.
- Launch - Communication engages actual URL and will appear live usually within a 72-hour window.
- Linking site to relevant pages on campus website if there was a URL name change or it is a new site.
The web manager, guides the group through all the steps of site design and customization. Campus groups also have automatic access to the campus Content Management System to facilitate site management.
Public Relations will review and approve URLs before site template is set up.
Please see the Template Designs page for design selections and links to live UC Merced sites using the templates.
Then fill out the Web Project Initiation Form (Web PIF) and submit the email request. We will contact you with additional details.